Worried about the Condition of Your Roof? Check for Signs of Deterioration and Call Hogan Exteriors in Crystal Lake, IL Today!
Eight Warning Signs of Roof Deterioration
- Ceiling Spots – Dark water stains in your roof or on your ceiling. This is usually caused by leaks in roof. Check for damaged shingles.
- Algae Growth – Growth of algae on shingles caused by growth of airborne algae deposited on roof. The unsightly appearance does not affect the service life of the material. It is a common problem in warm, humid climates. Algae-resistant shingles are available regionally.
- Curling – Bending or twisting of shingles. This is caused by lack of ventilation or improper number of fasteners.
- Buckling – Warping shingles. This is caused by improperly applied felt, lack of ventilation, and movement in deck.
- Missing Shingles – These are caused by improper fastening or exposure to high winds. They can usually be replaced individually.
- Rotting – Decaying shingles are caused by absorption of the moisture by mat at the core of the shingle. This is a common problem with organic-based shingles.
- Damaged Flashing – Damage to the protective layer around the base of the chimney. It is caused by improper installation, drying, and cracking. It can usually be repaired without replacing roof.
- Missing Granules – Excessive loss of grains/particles in shingles. On newly applied shingles, a certain number of loose granules is normal. On aging shingles, missing granules indicate the need for replacement.
Roof Watch PDF – Roof Watch articles are written by respected roofing consultants. In this issue, learn about storm damage and how to recognize and respond to the effects of hail, heavy rain, high winds, and tornadoes, and play the storm damage crisscross puzzle.
Note: Detailed instructions for downloading and installing the Acrobat Reader are available at www.adobe.com. For best results, make sure you have installed version 3.0 or later of the Acrobat Reader.